|Select a Wood Floor
> By Species
> By Construction Type
| Copyright © 2004, CanTrust Manufacturing International Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
All CanTrust Hardwood products are protected by our aluminium oxide enriched finish, which lasts up to many times longer than conventional UV cured urethanes. If you maintain it properly and take a few simple precautions, you can keep it looking beautiful for years to come.
In fact, CanTrust hardwood floor, with its advanced finish provides superior wear and easy no-wax care, plus superior resistance to staining from all common household products such as bleach, coffee, tea, shoe polish, lipstick, acetone, mustard and more. A few simple maintenance steps however, will help protect your investment and keep your CanTrust Hardwoods looking like new.CLEANING
• Use a damp cloth to blot up spills and spots as soon as they happen. For tough spots such as oil, paint, markers, lipstick, ink, tar or cigarette marks, use acetone/nail polish remover on a clean white cloth, then wipe with a damp cloth. Always avoid allowing liquids to stand on your door.
• Do not use oil based, wax, polish, or strong ammoniated or abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring powder to clean the door.
• Use quality area rugs and door mats by outdoor entrance areas to prevent dirt, sand, grit and other substances such as oil, asphalt or driveway sealer from being tracked onto your floor. Do not use rubber or foam backed plastic mats as they may discolor the floor. To prevent slippage use an approved vinyl rug underlayment.
• Use floor protectors and wide load bearing leg bases/rollers to minimize indentations and scratches from heavy objects. As a rule of thumb, the heavier the object, the wider the floor protector should be.
• Maintain a normal indoor relative humidity level between 45% and 65% throughout the year, to minimize the natural expansion and contraction of wood.
Heating Season (Dry): A humidifier is recommended to prevent excess shrinkage due to low humidity levels. Wood stove and electric heat tends to create very dry conditions.
Non Heating Season (Wet): An air conditioner, dehumidifier or periodically turning on your heating system can maintain humidity during the summer months. Avoid excessive exposure to water during periods of inclement weather.
• Avoid gouges or cuts in your floor from sharp objects. While your Cantrust Hardwoods floor is one of the most wear resistant floors on the market, sharp or pointed objects can nevertheless damage it.
• Don’t walk on your floor with stiletto-style heels, spiked golf shoes or cleats; they may cause indentations in your floor.
• Rearrange area rugs and furniture periodically so the floor ages evenly. UV sunlight will soften the tone of different species of hardwood to varying degrees.
• Keep pet’s nails trimmed.
• Use a dolly when moving heavy furniture or appliances. But first, put down a sheet of quarter inch plywood or Masonite to protect the floor. Never try to slide or roll heavy objects across the floor.